Re: [SystemSafety] 737 tail strike caused by typo on a tablet

From: Klaus < >
Date: Wed, 18 Nov 2015 11:13:18 +0100

Well, hm...
I fly 747 since 1987. Copilot, Captain... Distractions have increased, procedure design hasnīt quite kept up with all the things going on during the last minutes before departure.

20 years back, the data for takeoff were calculated by hand, using tables, and everything was ready 15, 20 minutes before pushback.

Today, preliminary calculations are done 15, 20 minutes before pushback, but then updated with the latest info of + or - 5 passengers, a bit of cargo - whatever. THEN, with sheduled time of departure coming near, then things are recalculated and finally transferred, manually, into the airplane computers .

Distractions ? You better be immune to them - which no-one can really be.

About the 737: looks like a 10 ton error to me, maybe 15 % of takeoff-weight. May have been contributing, but I have doubts it was the main reason for the tail-strike.

747s , which are much larger than 737, have been known to scrape the runway, yes, but then the error was more than 25% of takeoff weight. 2xx tons instead of 3xx tons....

Solution: try to keep a calm working athmosphere in the cockpit and do as much preparation as can be done : every moment counts. And: do the checklists, the required crosschecks.

Hope that this was interesting,

Best,
Klaus Sievers