Re: [SystemSafety] Analyzing far behind the Intended Use

From: Martyn Thomas < >
Date: Wed, 30 Dec 2015 10:37:33 +0000

Are System-A and System-X different systems?

On the general point - it is common for operators to use systems outside their intended use. People have been killed because they balanced an electric fire on the side of their bath, or used their powered grass-mower to trim their hedges. Car owners modify their engine management systems to get better performance. People even use MS Windows in safety-critical applications, despite the EULA.

What should the manufacturer do?

Firstly, be explicit about the permitted limits of use within which the product is warranted or certified to be safe. Secondly, be explicit about the critical risks if the product is used outside these limits - and state clearly that the warranty and any safety certification is invalidated by such use. Thirdly, where a particular and dangerous misuse is foreseeable, design the product so that it prevents or detects such misuse and fails safely. These are common strategies that have been used by many product manufacturers for years; computer system manufacturers can be expected to adopt similar policies.

Martyn