Re: [SystemSafety] The Lancaster Floods in December 2015

From: Matthew Squair < >
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 2016 20:39:55 +1100

An example of degrading resilience, from telephony. :(

Back in the day the old Strowger exchanges were incredibly tough electromechanical beasts (great fun to play with as well). As an example during the Chilean 'big one' a Stronger unit was buried in the rubble of it's exchange building but kept clunking away switching calls happily for a couple of days until the battery wore down. Early Australian exchanges were Strowgers and used to run to huge battery set pairs which alternated between service and charging as the system was DC, which fortuitously also minimised the effect of unreliable mains power on network services. Fast forward to 1989 when we had the Newcastle (NSW) earthquake (I was there it was exciting) and lo our local exchange only stayed up for a couple of hours until it's batteries died. With the rollout of the Australian National Broadband Network you'd think that battery backup for equipment (in the home) would be mandatory...but alas no. So the next major storm, out goes the power and most people's NBN including telephony.

On Mon, Jan 25, 2016 at 3:44 AM, Peter Bernard Ladkin < ladkin_at_xxxxxx

*Matthew Squair*
BEng (Mech) MSysEng
MIEAust CPEng

Mob: +61 488770655