Re: [SystemSafety] Modelling and coding guidelines: "Unambiguous Graphical Representation"

From: Michael J. Pont < >
Date: Sat, 27 Feb 2016 14:37:16 -0000

Michael J. Pont wrote:

"The organisations that we work with on ISO 26262 (and similar) projects are
not yet ready to embrace formal methods. I suspect that this is the case for the majority of users of ISO 26262 at this time."

Martyn Thomas responded:

"Would it be controversial to suggest that they are therefore "not yet
ready" to be considered competent to build safety-critical software - especially in an environment of heightened cybersecurity threats?"

---

I stand by my original comments.

Outside the rarefied atmosphere of this list, I think the answer to your
question would be a clear "yes".

(Yes - it would be controversial to suggest that someone who applies ISO
26262 carefully and thoughtfully, without using formal methods, must be
incompetent.)

Michael.

Michael J. Pont

SafeTTy Systems Ltd