Re: [SystemSafety] Modelling and coding guidelines: "Unambiguous Graphical Representation"

From: Steve Tockey < >
Date: Tue, 1 Mar 2016 19:06:34 +0000

Derek,
An interesting position, but please consider this alternative view:

I'm using a popular word processor for writing my new book. I've seen reports from credible people who have evaluated that code base, they all report, "it sucks". I know people who work for that company, they freely admit "our code sucks". No question, it's bad code.

As a user, I have already logged 93 unique defects against the product. The most serious defect is that it can go into an infinite loop after a Paste. When it does, I have to go to the operating system control panel to kill the process as it is consuming 100% of one CPU and not listening to any user input. My habit now is to Save-Cut-Paste instead of the normal Cut-Paste to minimize lost work (it's supposed "saved" version is up to 20 minutes of editing behind). Web searching reveals that this infinite-loop-on-Paste defect has been in the product since 2011 and has still not been fixed. I can't think of any other way to put it, it's bad code.

But here's the deal, I can't invest anything in that code. It's not my code to invest in. I'm just the poor hapless user who has to deal with their crap because that's what the publisher wants.

Your position is fine from a supplier-side perspective, but what about the consumer-side? Shouldn't we have a say? At best, all I can do economically is be true to my vow of never spending another penny with that vendor. They've gotten enough of my money over the years for their schlock software. No more.

It's not my option to invest in their code. All I can do is make it obvious that I refuse to spend any more with those schmucks.

Regards,