Re: [SystemSafety] Two sorts of Standards (was: Modelling and coding guidelines: "Unambiguous Graphical Representation")

From: Martyn Thomas < >
Date: Wed, 2 Mar 2016 12:01:33 +0000

This thread has discussed (inter alia) two different sorts of standards:
  1. System or component architectures or designs that have well-established properties and that have become (to a greater or lesser extent) the "standard" way of implementing a requirement.
  2. Documents that prescribe (to a greater or lesser extent) the way in which a system or component should be developed (for example, specific methods and tools, the need for traceability, the degree of test coverage required, the documentation ...).

It seems to me that our industry would benefit from more of (1), but that much greater effort goes into (2).

There are many examples of (1) in other branches of engineering, and one way that progress is made is that standards of type (1) are improved or replaced when a defect is discovered, and the whole industry/profession is then able to benefit from the improvement.

systemsafety_at_xxxxxx Received on Wed Mar 02 2016 - 13:01:13 CET