Re: [SystemSafety] Modelling and coding guidelines: "Unambiguous Graphical Representation"

From: Les Chambers < >
Date: Sun, 6 Mar 2016 12:12:05 +1000

All
I'd like to endorse Steve's comments on the effectiveness of model-based development. My experience is identical to his in terms of highly reliable, safe software delivered at low cost in predictable timeframes and, I might add, delivered by people who were not professional programmers. But not on 19 projects. It was on hundreds of projects and by now, in that environment, it would be thousands of projects. The model of course was the state engine. It was used in every traditional phase of software engineering from requirements all the way through to training operators. The hardware we used was optimised for executing state engine logic, the language we used was specifically designed for state engine implementation and the user interface exposed state engine concepts that were very easy for operators to understand.

The application was chemical process control. We were one of the first groups to control reaction kinetics with software. In that project environment you are a small cog in a giant machine. All the projects I worked on were substantial plant upgrades or new plant developments where the cost of late delivery was so huge you career would not withstand it. Unpredictable software development schedules were just NOT an option. Your career would also not withstand destruction of equipment or loss of life because of your software. Maintenance was also a huge issue. In the chemical marketplace product technologies are constantly changing and plant operations were evolving. The plant engineer responsible for the program was likely to move on every 2 to 3 years requiring someone new to come in, understand the operation of a very complex machine and take responsibility for ongoing maintenance and upgrade. The model made this possible with nonprofessional programmers. We found it much more effective do have a process expert writing, and taking daily responsibility for the consequences of, "the program".

I find it depressing that we continue to have discussions over the worth of these models. For example the state engine model is more than 60 years old and was first used when the only control tool was a relay rack. It's become progressively more useful since then.

A thing I have noticed is that state engine evangelists like Steve and myself are incredibly passionate about the subject. I have only recently figured out why. And the answer is: that particular model played a large part in one of the most productive periods of my engineering career.

I was there when almost perfect start-ups occurred on highly complex multiunit operation chemical plants.
I was there when chemical engineers with no particular love of software learnt to embrace this new technology as an indispensable tool in getting their jobs done.
I was there when the light came on in the brains of plant operators who had never seen or heard of a computer until a month before and went on to actually contribute to code that made their plant run smarter. Some of these guys didn't have a high school education. I experienced, over and over again, the transcendence of getting something right the first time.
I experienced the satisfaction of driving out of the plant of an afternoon and going home to my wife and children confident that nothing I had done that day would destroy equipment or hurt another human being - together with the attendant long hours of peaceful sleep.

And so, if you have any doubts about the utility of these models let me say this to you. "We believe more than we can prove." Neither Steve, I or anybody else will be able to produce numbers to support our case. These numbers are buried in proprietary operations and will never see the light of day. All that we can tell you is that decades of experience when the torch was applied to the belly of a method/model/programming paradigm it came through with flying colours. This is the source of our belief and it is worthy of notice AND ACTION ON YOUR PART.

Many of the tools we use today, languages for example, are toys conceived by people who have never had to manage the massive size, complexity and criticality of real-world applications - on a budget - in predictable timeframes - using a broad church of developers. Models such as the state engine have passed these tests with flying colours for decades. Unfortunately the true believers in profoundly effective real-world methods will probably remain cloistered in these large development shops constrained by proprietary restrictions, an exclusive race of Jedi looking out at the great unwashed and pitying them.

And furthermore, if you are not embracing the proven models of our profession such as the state engine, consider yourself to be an unwashed, unevolved, uneducated, lazy and fundamentally incompetent actor - not worthy to be in charge of or associated with anything that could hurt a human being. An accident waiting to happen.

If you find yourself in this category I suggest you start reading here: Modelling Software With Finite State Machines, A Practical Approach, Wagner et al. It's cool aid worth consuming.

/*
  end of rant
*/

Cheers