Re: [SystemSafety] Data on Proof effectiveness from real projects

From: Peter Bernard Ladkin < >
Date: Sat, 2 Apr 2016 09:36:09 +0200

On 2016-04-02 07:37 , Steve Tockey wrote:
> Generally speaking, efficiency is looking at investment per unit of work done.

Well, that sort of depends on what the words are taken to mean. As I read it, you're missing a parameter of achievement, of output. Maybe you hid it in the concept "work", but if so then I'd suggest that's not a helpful way of expressing it.

For example, take the production function in a simple form. Product = F(Labor, Capital). An economist would understand "investment" = Capital, "work" = Labor. "Efficiency" is, amongst other things, a measure of how much Product is produced for a given input of Capital and Labor. Our economist would ask where the "Product" bit appears in your formulation.

Actually this ties in with a recent experience. The UK government statistics agency wants to improve its assessment of the contribution of ICT to national productivity, which thoughtfully involves consulting with engineers. So a few of us sat in a symposium with some statisticians and what I later figured out was the cream of the UK's productivity econometricians. The kind of people who introduce themselves with "hello, I'm Nick and I work at the LSE" and proceed to make occasional, spare remarks of casual brilliance, each one showing me I know even less about econometrics than the nothing I thought I knew. Finding myself occasionally surveying the corners of the room for the most convenient crawl space.

Fun, though. I went in thinking I nominally understood the briefing papers, and came out really understanding them. That's always fun.

systemsafety_at_xxxxxx Received on Sat Apr 02 2016 - 09:36:19 CEST