Re: [SystemSafety] Data on Proof effectiveness from real projects

From: Martyn Thomas < >
Date: Sat, 2 Apr 2016 16:02:01 +0100

On 02/04/2016 06:37, Steve Tockey wrote:
> Generally speaking, efficiency is looking at investment per unit of
> work done. In other words, increasing efficiency means that the same
> work is done at lower investment—the same (number of?) defects are
> found for a lower investment. Maximizing the chance of finding defects
> would be an issue of effectiveness. Effectiveness is looking at the
> rate at which the job is done correctly (I.e., a defect is found, not
> missed). One needs to look at both efficiency and effectiveness of
> processes to make a fair comparison.

Is anyone actually interested in the number of defects found? Surely that's not a measure of anything useful about the software.

An important benefit of verification is that it can tell you (for some classes of defect) that the number of defects /remaining/ is zero.

systemsafety_at_xxxxxx Received on Sat Apr 02 2016 - 17:02:06 CEST