Re: [SystemSafety] How Many Miles of Driving Would It Take to Demonstrate Autonomous Vehicle Reliability?

From: GRAZEBROOK, Alvery N < >
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2016 12:37:07 +0000

I’m not sure whether I’m missing the point here, but …

Cheers,

            Alvery

From: systemsafety [mailto:systemsafety-bounces_at_xxxxxx Sent: 18 April 2016 1:04 PM
To: martyn_at_xxxxxx
Cc: systemsafety_at_xxxxxx Subject: Re: [SystemSafety] How Many Miles of Driving Would It Take to Demonstrate Autonomous Vehicle Reliability?

Sure, making a bunch of assumptions.

But I'd personally be comfortable after a couple of months of realistic road trials.

Matthew Squair

MIEAust, CPEng
Mob: +61 488770655
Web: http://criticaluncertainties.com

On 18/04/2016 08:25, Peter Bishop wrote:

According to the Rand graph, we would need 1 million miles for a 95% confidence that the driverless car crash rate is a least as good as a driven one.
i.e. a fleet of 100 cars driving 10000 miles each for one year.

... under the same range and frequency of conditions as the comparable fleet with human drivers.

Airbus Operations Limited, a company registered in England and Wales, registration number, 3468788. Registered office: Pegasus House, Aerospace Avenue, Filton, Bristol, BS34 7PA, UK.

The System Safety Mailing List
systemsafety_at_xxxxxx Received on Mon Apr 18 2016 - 14:37:33 CEST