Re: [SystemSafety] How Many Miles of Driving Would It Take to Demonstrate Autonomous Vehicle Reliability?

From: Derek M Jones < >
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2016 16:34:47 +0100

Pater,

>> How about a prescribed solution to the "trolley problem" ethical dilemma
>> (http://www.philosopherstoolkit.com/the-trolley-problem.php) and strong evidence that it has been
>> implemented correctly.
>
> There are known quasi-acceptable (but not perfect) solutions, and some known unacceptable solutions,
> that have been published over the last fifty years.

This philosophical stuff is all very interesting. But...

What I want to know (and probably most customers) is can, I choose a car configuration option that considers my life to be more important than everybody else's? Or are the government going to mandate that the software treat the life of everybody equally?

As a human driver I have the option, given enough thinking time and fast responses, of deciding whose life is worth more.