Re: [SystemSafety] How Many Miles of Driving Would It Take to Demonstrate Autonomous Vehicle Reliability?

From: Chris Hills < >
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2016 17:21:52 +0100

-----Original Message-----
From: systemsafety
[mailto:systemsafety-bounces_at_xxxxxx Derek M Jones
Sent: 18 April 2016 16:35
To: systemsafety_at_xxxxxx Subject: Re: [SystemSafety] How Many Miles of Driving Would It Take to Demonstrate Autonomous Vehicle Reliability? Pater,
>> How about a prescribed solution to the "trolley problem" ethical
>> dilemma
>> (http://www.philosopherstoolkit.com/the-trolley-problem.php) and
>> strong evidence that it has been implemented correctly.
>
> There are known quasi-acceptable (but not perfect) solutions, and some
> known unacceptable solutions, that have been published over the last fifty
years.
This philosophical stuff is all very interesting. But... What I want to know (and probably most customers) is can, I choose a car configuration option that considers my life to be more important than everybody else's?

[CAH] would that therefor be premeditated homicide if your car then killed someone to save you?
[CAH] Just asking but when ever asked the vast majority (from memory I have no reference to hand) of people, like Derek (and Me :-) want a car that saves them as a primary objective.

Or are the government going to mandate that the software treat the life of everybody equally?
[CAH] The government has to say everyone is equal? It is just that Government Ministers are more equal (obviously) :- ) There would then be a black market for hacked SW to save the driver.....

As a human driver I have the option, given enough thinking time and fast responses, of deciding whose life is worth more. [CAH] no your honour I did not decide to hit A instead of B it was just an instinctive reaction.......
I recommend you watch this which asks similar questions http://www.boreme.com/posting.php?id=44255#.VxUG3__ruUl

The System Safety Mailing List
systemsafety_at_xxxxxx Received on Mon Apr 18 2016 - 18:22:21 CEST