Re: [SystemSafety] How Many Miles of Driving Would It Take to Demonstrate Autonomous Vehicle Reliability?

From: Mike Ellims < >
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2016 18:03:48 +0100

Doing a quick survey the majority of regulations are specific to testing of highly automated and autonomous vehicles e.g. Google test vehicles.

As far as I can Tesla falls into a legal grey area in that the vehicles are not part of a test program and as such are not expressly prohibited in the USA though their functionality would appear to be perhaps illegal in the Netherlands.

In the USA NHTSA states that they will be working towards regulation sometime this year and there are currently no specific UNECE regulations though they have a working group. Some people may find the paper in the following link interesting though I haven't as yet looked it in detail myself.

http://cyberlaw.stanford.edu/publications/automated-vehicles-are-probably-le gal-united-states