Re: [SystemSafety] How Many Miles of Driving Would It Take to Demonstrate Autonomous Vehicle Reliability?

From: Matthew Squair < >
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2016 13:32:26 +1000

I think the question of liability will (if it truly is an issue) be answered by legislation. I can see an act covering:
  1. the need to encourage such technologies.
  2. insurance requirements for people who buy or use them, and
  3. liability caps.

May also need some sort of reinsurance agency to support the insurance market along with centralised collating of actuarial data.

On Tue, Apr 19, 2016 at 4:42 AM, Peter Bernard Ladkin < ladkin_at_xxxxxx

> On 2016-04-18 17:34 , Derek M Jones wrote:
> > This philosophical stuff is all very interesting. But...
>
> Philosophy, my hat!
>
> Consider: you are an ambulance-chasing lawyer, and Joe Blow has been
> killed by an autonomous road
> vehicle which implemented the above algorithm according to the regulations
> (which are law).
> Everyone's going after everyone else in court. You're so good that they've
> all asked for you to
> represent them, the Government (the regulator), Joe Blow's family, the car
> manufacturer, the
> insurance companies representing all those, and probably more.
>
> Who do you pick as client and why?
>
> PBL
>
> Prof. Peter Bernard Ladkin, Faculty of Technology, University of
> Bielefeld, 33594 Bielefeld, Germany
> Je suis Charlie
> Tel+msg +49 (0)521 880 7319 www.rvs.uni-bielefeld.de

*Matthew Squair*