Re: [SystemSafety] Does "reliable" mean "safe" and or "secure" or neither?

From: Michael J. Pont < >
Date: Sun, 24 Apr 2016 17:36:37 +0100

Roberto asks:

"Can we talk about the reliability of the components in the context
  of the overall system, without any knowledge about how they implement   their functionality (e.g., hardware only, hardware + little bit of   software, hardware + lots of software, hardware + software + humans)?"

If our definition of reliability is something like this (from my previous email):

"the extent to which an experiment, test, or measuring procedure yields the
same results on repeated trials"

... then the software cannot contribute to the above discussion (because the software doesn't change over time).

Michael.

The System Safety Mailing List
systemsafety_at_xxxxxx Received on Sun Apr 24 2016 - 18:37:55 CEST