Re: [SystemSafety] How Many Miles of Driving Would It Take to Demonstrate Autonomous Vehicle Reliability?

From: Michael J. Pont < >
Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2016 09:01:23 +0100

PBL wrote:
"When the automation is doing its thing, a human monitor is often cognitively "outside the loop". In a typical design, when the automation is unable to resolve a situation, it hands over control to a human, who needs suddenly to be "in the loop" again to resolve a situation which the automation has found too tricky to handle. This cognitive switch can be difficult and used to be regarded as unreliable."

I downloaded this document recently:

Trimble, T. E., Bishop, R., Morgan, J. F., & Blanco, M. (2014, July). Human factors evaluation of level 2 and level 3 automated driving concepts: Past research, state of automation technology, and emerging system concepts. (Report No. DOT HS 812 043). Washington, DC: National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.

It appears to be relevant (but I confess that I've not yet had a chance to do more than skim through it).

This dates from 2014 and is essentially a literature review. There may, by now, be some further relevant publications from NHTSA.

Michael.

Michael J. Pont
www.SafeTTy.net

The System Safety Mailing List
systemsafety_at_xxxxxx Received on Mon Jun 13 2016 - 10:01:36 CEST